Friday, June 29, 2007

Thursday

I mentioned,* somewhat mysteriously, that I was working on an art project last weekend. What that was: my friend James Maxey's new novel about the struggles of a human underclass in a world run by talking dragons, Bitterwood, is now popping up in US bookstores. Mr. Maxey offered me the opportunity to make an illustration for this post in his author's blog. He writes about designing dragons around natural plausibility. I was intrigued by the idea: making a fantasy beast out of bits and pieces of existing animal material. I created an illustration (labeled "figure 4" in his article) from images of animals found online. It's a collage. It can be viewed in its natural habitat as part of his post linked above, on in a larger version here. After last Wednesday's post* about sailing with ease through the US Passport Office's special issuance application process, it should come as absolutely no surprise that I had to spend nearly three hours in that office today, just picking the damn thing up. The reason? No one would answer my questions. I was told to join a group of people awaiting special passports needed tonight or tomorrow. I told two people my passport had been due yesterday. One took my name on a yellow sticky and disappeared, the other said "just a second." Later, a woman behind bulletproof glass threw her hand in my face and told me she was closed. She was the person I was later told I should have talked to. Eventually, long after the office had closed, and the last remaining travelers had received their documents hot off the press, did someone finally talk to me long enough to note that my passport was waiting for me in some other drawer. Eventually I became officially documented. [Cavin]

Then, a 3 sided conversation ensued...

To which Blogger qemuel added:

I like your collage! How long did it take?

When I was younger I also did a couple of illustrations trying to decide what the skeletal and muscular systems of a dragon would be like. If I had a scanner I would dig them out and send you copies to peruse, but since I don't I'll just have to remember to show you if/when you come down again before heading out to the 'Nam.

I empathize with the long wait as well; the last time I got a new license it only took me about 15 minutes. I fully expect to be there all day next time (June 23, 2008, to be exact).

I've been thinking about driving up to see you guys, since I'm now a bum and not working. Up for a visit? Just let me know...

Sunday, July 01, 2007 2:01:00 PM  
To which Blogger Mr. Cavin added:

The collage took about ten hours. Maybe a little more. I stopped before I went totally crazy: there was supposed to be a whole wing/foot panel the way I originally imagined it. Some attention paid to the chicken feet, featherlike scales, and the wishbone, or whatever the strange close-together bird anatomy shoulder bones are, enabling wings to move all of those tilty ways. But I am not much of a fantasy artist, and in this case the limitation made itself known in stamina.

To answer your question, most weekends are free. Call me up, I am sure something can be arranged.

Sunday, July 01, 2007 3:18:00 PM  
To which Blogger Bronwen added:

I really like the illustration as well. And I wanted to write something about fantasy artist and stamina and yo' momma, but i just couldn't pull it together.

Wednesday, July 04, 2007 1:30:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Back to the Beginner.
<< To main Update page.