Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Wednesday

I woke up this afternoon and took a long shower. I brushed my teeth. Then I spent ten minutes trying to fix my wet head so that the comb-lines didn't create some jarring pattern in the skull-cap of my hair. I had to slick it down completely or it clumped-up at the part, but that made the back into disco-era tentacles groping down my neck. Today’s post is about identification. When I left the house this afternoon I looked like a Bowery hobo done-up for a job interview. I walked straight to the barbershop. On the way, I was pestered by the cyclo drivers and coconut salesmen working the entrance to Reunification Palace. It was strange. These guys got used to us a year ago. Usually, these touts and salesmen just wave hello. Very few of them try to bother me anymore. I can imagine several reasons I was identified as a tourist today. Maybe I'd been forgotten over my lengthy holiday vacation. Or since: we've mostly been taking taxis lately because of the unmanageable sidewalk construction everywhere. Or maybe it's only that I looked like a man from another era, curling at the ends, a fish-out-of-water anywhere besides a seedy tractor-trailer cab. I'd been cultivating hair since November, so I had plenty for a grown-up haircut instead of the DIY buzz I usually get. It's the first time in a decade, I guess. The only problem was that corporate haircuts always look a little post-punker on me, whereas my mustache still looked a little leather-bar (or maybe Ned-Flanders). So I had to shave that off, too. This only solves one of today's problems, though. Now my own fiends, if they were selling coconuts at the gates of Reunification Palace, might not immediately recognize me on the street. [Cavin]

Then, a 6 sided conversation ensued...

To which Blogger Becky added:

wowza. sunshine was right; this is quite the swoon-worthy look for you. i give it two thumbs up.

Thursday, March 12, 2009 11:43:00 PM  
To which Blogger Mr. Cavin added:

Hey, thanks a lot Becky! If you haven't changed your mind before I see you again, the beer's on me.

Friday, March 13, 2009 11:01:00 PM  
To which Blogger Bronwen added:

You look hot.

Tuesday, March 17, 2009 11:20:00 PM  
To which Blogger Arbogast added:

Of course he looks hot - it's Vietnam!

Thursday, March 26, 2009 10:06:00 PM  
To which Blogger Mr. Cavin added:

No no, I just naturally glisten. I had all five air conditioners on at once. Honest. Full throttle, I swear.

Friday, March 27, 2009 2:50:00 AM  
To which Blogger truth added:

I'm getting ready to go in the opposite fashion and untangle the clippers from the cluttered mass under the bathroom sink.

I tried doing a mustache alone with no accompanying facial hair just once. After several mothers clutched their young children tightly as I walked by, I decided to shave it off.

Now, I just wear the grungy look that always gets the comment "Are you trying to grow a beard?"

Saturday, March 28, 2009 4:00:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Back to the Beginner.
<< To main Update page.