Thursday, February 26, 2009

Thursday

I'm not sure how long I can, in good conscience, go on calling this an update when all I talk about are things that happened months ago. So I'll try to pepper my reportage with new stuff here and there. This just in: Sunshine had a dinner engagement yesterday, but I wasn't all that interested in celebrating the anniversary of a successful local grocery chain. My interest? To enjoy soba noodle soup and a perfectly fried egg at my favorite downtown sushi bar. To heighten the experience, I meant to while away an hour or more over it. And drink sake. And read my adventure novel. Everything was coming up roses until I walked into the crowded little joint. That was when I realized I was sort of embarrassed by my book. This never used to happen to me, this worry about other people observing what I was reading. But recently, in the states, I was loathe to be caught out with a certain pop-culture vampire novel some collusion of jetlag and morbid curiosity had inspired me to take up. And then last night I spent a nervous few minutes hyper aware of the mostly naked Japanese stereotype kneeling on the cover of Ian Fleming's You Only Live Twice--its title rendered, however inappropriately, in a goofy chop-socky font. Frankly, I don't know why I bother. It isn't as if that restaurant's shelves aren't stocked with pinky schoolgirl horror-romance comics. Plus, it's nearly impossible to ignore the game shows on TV behind the bar, revolving as they do around public nudity, freezing water, biting insects, and, in what amounts to some kind of heroic irony, the act of consuming unbelievably disgusting things. So I laid the book facedown and ate in front of the TV. Like every night. [Cavin]

Then, a 4 sided conversation ensued...

To which Blogger Bronwen added:

I suggest a book cover. Do you have any brown paper grocery bags around?

Friday, February 27, 2009 10:00:00 PM  
To which Blogger Mr. Cavin added:

I guess you shoulda thought of that before I left the house, missy.

Friday, February 27, 2009 10:28:00 PM  
To which Anonymous Anonymous added:

Chris sez: Think of the fun you would have creating your own book cover!Complete with cover art and a pretend ISBN #. Think of the blurb for Velveetina VS. Roboticon: A duel for the most savory noodle!

Monday, March 02, 2009 9:40:00 AM  
To which Blogger Mr. Cavin added:

"Think of the blurb for..."

"[Fleming]'s towering literary achievement looks for the humanity in some pretty thrilling action ...and finds outdated social notions of robots and soup and cheese in a 'future' very much like the 'sixties'. Pure ...fun!"

And yet it occurs to me that I've already created enough damn covers for a whole lifetime, now haven't I?

Tuesday, March 03, 2009 4:37:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Back to the Beginner.
<< To main Update page.