Monday, November 24, 2008

Monday

Ugh. I came down with a slight cold Saturday and Sunshine came down with a slightly heavier one yesterday. Not a whole heck of a lot happened to us over the weekend because of it. We ate at a lot of comfortable pasta-and-soup type joints. We took cabs along walking distances. We played a lot computer games. Would like to waste your time the way I did all weekend? Okay. First, eat a large bowl of bucatini arrabiata and then go here. It's a game called Fantastic Contraption. The object is to move an object from one area of the playing field to a goal on the other side. To do this, you must create machines with what tools you're allowed: clockwise and widdershins-spinning wheels, axles of greater or lesser substance. The game can get surprisingly difficult when it becomes necessary, by the later levels, to move your object up, or to make a machine that goes one way to gather the object and then the opposite direction to deliver it. I have not yet completed the last two levels. Anyway, if these links work out right, here and here you can see two of the machine designs with which I successfully beat some of the easier levels. Once you click the links, it should take you to a generic-looking page where you will have to click start like you are beginning the game. But it will begin with a machine I created (click the big green button to see the machine in action). Sometimes these links don’t work, though. Okay, admin stuff: we are leaving for Singapore on Wednesday afternoon to celebrate our anniversary (and, I guess, US Thanksgiving). So things should be dark around here until next Monday. Hope everyone has a really nice holiday weekend. [Cavin]

Then, a 4 sided conversation ensued...

To which Anonymous Anonymous added:

Sorry about y'all's colds. Hope you're better for your trip.

About your new game: On first viewing, I was smitten the elegance of the trebuchet. Like a perfect touchdown pass. Then I watched both again and found that the dogged determination of the other one was just as striking. Like a running back trampling a defensive line. Then I did my own 5-piece model which drove through the goal and right off the cliff - no victory sign. Well, I gotta go spend the next couple of hours finding out why, (expletive). Thanks a lot.

Thursday, November 27, 2008 3:50:00 AM  
To which Anonymous Anonymous added:

In the words of Alabama Whitman..."you're so cool".

Good stuff reading about your adventures in life.

Congrats on your marriage and what looks like fascinating travels.

You always had an eye for art and you capture it beautifully in your photos.

You're a brilliant mutha and I'll always hold you in high esteem as one who knows the difference between cool and uncool.

www.disposables.blogspot.com

Friday, December 12, 2008 5:06:00 AM  
To which Blogger Mr. Cavin added:

What a sweet thing to say. I am glad you are enjoying this stuff (and that you found the photos). I'm not so sure about cool and uncool, though. I had to start walking up the escalators sometimes. I'm not tough enough to live on juice for ten days.

Good to hear from old friends.

Friday, December 12, 2008 4:15:00 PM  
To which Blogger truth added:

Hope you have a good trip back home. It's been a particularly cold winter this year so far. Prepare yourself. I've spent the last few weeks in thermals.

The Forney building is near completion (after at least a year) so be careful of any drunken shortcuts. I've been working in the Mossman building for the last 8 years and your description of the hollow, gutted Forney was dead on.

I lost a pair of my own treasured shades over the summer at a crowded pool party. They were the most expensive I'd ever bought. Sawyer lost his football and that turned up on our next visit but the shades have never been seen again. They actually did have some prescription in them (had to do it that way to get the insurance to pay for em) so someone out there is probably doing some slow damage to their eyes right now.

I never thought of buying a pair of transition lenses on non-prescriptions. Great idea. And let's face it, eyeglasses give us the appearance of wisdom. As it is now, I'm relegated to Dollar Tree junk which just gives the appearance of cheap.

Anyhoo, I'm babblin but since you took the time to respond to my post, I wanted to acknowledge it.

Have a Merry Christmas and if you have a free moment, are in the UNCG area and can stomach seeing me, come by and have lunch.

I'm in the Cashier's Office.

If not, that's cool too.

Saturday, December 13, 2008 4:35:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Back to the Beginner.
<< To main Update page.