Friday, August 08, 2008

Friday

It rained the whole week before our recent trip to Dalat. It rains several times every day, in fact. This is normal. What isn't normal is that I didn't have an umbrella that week. During the rainy season, umbrellas tend to accumulate between our shoe hutch and the laundry closet door. Last week there was a little tiny blue one and a little tiny pink one there. My strong black umbrella was lost. Little tiny umbrellas are made for a purse: they collapse on spindly wire fingers and telescope down insubstantial aluminum shafts. Their tops are small and they only protect a radius of two feet. It doesn’t take much breeze to render little umbrellas totally useless. These little things fit their pursey niche, I suppose, but aren't worthwhile against rain. They accumulate because we don’t use them enough to accidentally leave them in taxicabs or nightclubs. My beautiful black umbrella was strong and useful. Also a yard long. Also I'd lost it at the end of the previous week. Every single day I couldn’t use it. I needed to buy another umbrella. I never would have bothered doing this in town--it's pretty easy to avoid the rain at home--but looking online I noticed it was also going to rain every day of our vacation. This raises a question: could I have boarded an airplane with my black umbrella? It folded into a hooked cane with a metal tip. In an environment where security screens for toys and mouthwash, a pointy stick is probably also verboten. But we frequently fly within various rainy seasons, and umbrellas small enough to fit into the checked luggage are essentially worthless. I don't want to accumulate any more of these niche umbrellas--or lose any more of the good ones. [Cavin]

Then, a 0 sided conversation ensued...

Post a Comment

<< Back to the Beginner.
<< To main Update page.