Monday, June 16, 2008

Monday

In the previous post I stopped the ball rolling on this Update column with the assertion that there would be an unprecedented month-long hiatus in programming from Saigon headquarters while I embarked on an overdue vacation home. It's been difficult to get that ball rolling again since, and that hiatus has stretched to an unexpected forty-nine days. Seven weeks. Among the obstacles to starting-up again: the sheer number of things that happened over my vacation home puts me in a confusion over what to pick-n-choose for back-dated inclusion; the sheer number of things that continued happening in the meantime have thwarted my ability to sit in front of the computer (and have, of course, added to whatever plot confusion I'm having above), and after so many weeks of accruing without any disseminating, I feel awkward and out-of-practice. The list doesn't stop there. Too many days without posting and I begin to question the purpose of this project, the basic unrequited and unfocused nature of the thing wanes abundantly murky, while I've become well aware of the daily weight lifted from my shoulders (whenever I bother to remember to miss this routine at all, that is). There's also been all the jetlag to deal with. Anyway, this is a defensive post, hazarding embarrassingly into territory unattractively tantamount to "fishing for comments." In the long run, the reason for pursuing this blog is simply doing it, its benefits probably unforeseeable, and the time it takes is a well-spent diversion from mindless internet surfing or too many lattes and Bond novels down on Diamond Center's attractive patio, watching the next rain storm gust by as maroonly uniformed men and women scramble to close the gaps between slick tarps and colorful umbrellas. I'll knock the rust away one more time, I guess. [Cavin]

Then, a 7 sided conversation ensued...

To which Blogger Bronwen added:

I missed ready your posts. It is my way of staying connected to you, dispite the distance because I am too lazy to write or call. So, I guess the burden must remain, for a least a little while longer!

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 10:00:00 PM  
To which Blogger Bronwen added:

I missed reading your posts. It is my way of staying connected to you, despite the distance because I am too lazy to write or call. So, I guess the burden must remain, for a least a little while longer!

(That is what the comment was supposed to look like. Stupid proof reading...)

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 10:02:00 PM  
To which Blogger Mr. Cavin added:

I love it how, instead of deleting your first comment, you've left it here as an illustration of your second comment. It is a badge of belated self-consciousness, and that's great.

In a gesture of support, I present the last comment I made, far afield, suffering just that same brand of pre-consciousness. Only I would never have had the guts to leave it up there if I'd had a choice. But the blog in question collects commentary for approval by the author, thus the contributions themselves arrive, like, hours after the fact. By the time I got up the next day, the thing had been approved and responded to, making an edit impossible and deletion just uncouth. Alas. Here it is in all its para-literate glory.

Anyway, sorry I was gone so long. It won't happen again until July.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 11:19:00 PM  
To which Anonymous Anonymous added:

Your blog helps me figure out what is going on in your head. I like it! Actually, now I am where you will be in July and, like Ellie, I find it's a nice way to stay connected.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 9:54:00 AM  
To which Anonymous Anonymous added:

I don't think you can know what your posts mean to me, but I don't want to do without them. And I'm pretty sure you don't want me to call 10 times a day. Between your writing and photos, some part of the blank space is filled.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 3:56:00 PM  
To which Blogger Mr. Cavin added:

But, sheesh, no pressure.

Thanks, everyone, for your kind comments. Even the bleak and scary ones.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 4:19:00 PM  
To which Anonymous Anonymous added:

Hey, anything we can do to help ...

And, one can delete one's comments?

Thursday, June 19, 2008 4:27:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Back to the Beginner.
<< To main Update page.