Monday, April 14, 2008

Monday

In two weeks I'll be flying home for the first time since moving to Vietnam. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone, the old hometown, the Kentucky farm. As always, it's odd to contemplate an international adventure home--and those creepy twenty-four hours in coach. This will be four flights--plus layovers--equaling a whole day, but then minus the twelve time zones (but adjusted for DST). I'll be in the air forever; a whole day will pass for you. Only about fourteen hours will have elapsed (relapsed?) when I land, late on the same day I began. The other eleven hours are eaten up by the state of artificial time exchanges founded on the roundness of the world; exchanges only I'll perceive. During my stay abroad, I'll miss a number of things here in Hồ Chí Minh City. Most notably: the day after I leave, the much-politicized and increasingly contentious Olympic Torch relay will tour Vietnam's southern capital.1 This should be something to see. There are many people in Vietnam feeling skeptical of Beijing's intentions regarding the relay's local route. Published itineraries are assumed to be fabricated attempts to throw protesters off. In Europe and the US, recent protests have dogged the Olympic custom because of international discontent over Chinese involvement in Tibet; but here in Vietnam, the main contention is China's claims on the Paracel2 and Spratly3 Islands, together claimed by Vietnam, the People's Republic, and Taiwan. It would be interesting to see what happens, but I'll be content hearing about it through the grapevine. I'll also miss the beginning of this year's rainy season, slated for May; reports indicate that it may be even harsher this year than last due to La Niña’s influence.4 I might come home to a very soggy Vietnam after Memorial Day. [Cavin]

Then, a 0 sided conversation ensued...

Post a Comment

<< Back to the Beginner.
<< To main Update page.