Thursday, January 17, 2008

Thursday

This is an important announcement, eventually. Do you know what dominos do not do when they are falling in apt metaphors? They do not pick up much speed. A string of painstakingly set-up dominos, of uniform value, achieves its terminal velocity fairly immediately. After that, no matter how many tiles then proceed to transfer energy on to a following tile, they do so at pretty much the same rate that second domino influenced the third. It's all about the weight of the dominoes used, of course, rather than wind resistance: the forward motion is calibrated by the resistance of each next tile. The heavier they are, the slower they tip but the faster they fall into the next tile. Each domino falls at the same clip as the second tile hitting the third.* An apt metaphor for this procedure: I finished cleaning the living room Monday, moving the shoe cabinet back into the entryway, hooking up the stereo receiver and speakers. I could then clean the kitchen because I had the extra shelves--and the top--of the shoe cabinet available; I'm using it as a bar. I was also able to move the empty stereo boxes into storage and within the tangle of extra RCA plugs, S Video hookups, and coaxial cables newly returned to my office, I discovered two necessary Cat-5 cables and a short stretch of phone line. Some of my dominos must be made from materials exceedingly lightweight, frankly. Maybe they are escapist entertainments, or perhaps the wind of my voice. Yesterday my tiles aligned until I managed to hook-up the black broadband voice terminal that enables us to use our VONAGE account again. It's the same number as before, the same as on our business cards. If you need it again, contact us. [Cavin]

Then, a 2 sided conversation ensued...

To which Blogger Mr. Cavin added:

* I made all this up, by the way. It might be true, but I have no notion about that one way or another.

Friday, January 18, 2008 4:15:00 AM  
To which Anonymous Anonymous added:

My Goodness I am happy that you all are phoneable again. Very very happy.

Saturday, January 19, 2008 5:10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Back to the Beginner.
<< To main Update page.