Sunday, January 20, 2008

Sunday

At one point during yesterday's lovely walk I was already composing this blog entry in my mind. We were following Nguyễn Đình Chiểu Street before the Thị Nghè Canal, and wandering a very engaging-looking area of rather ramshackle one-story buildings sharing the city blocks with blooming tropical foliage. The yellow flowers from nearby trees were scattered along the sidewalks, complimenting the apricot flower and red of the increasingly abundant Tet decorations. The pace of the city slackened, somehow. If I'd been unable to see District One buildings high-rising above the terracotta tiles of the immediate roofing, I might have been in another city entirely. It was tempting to imagine this as an isolated village instead of downtown Ho Chi Minh City. Then it struck me: twenty-five minutes into walking, I'd not even spied one playing card on the ground. I found one last Thursday, by the way: the Ten clubs, first card of the sixth Street Stud round since October. I don't remember where I picked it up. I usually find one or two cards whenever I walk anywhere, but not today. So the subject of this blog occurred to me: wow, what an atypical day in an atypical-feeling neighborhood just twenty minutes from our house. Then I discovered another Ten clubs jutting from a concrete hatch in a busy intersection--ah, the usual again. I nearly killed us both retrieving the card from the active turn lane. But after that, walking south along the banks of the canal--toward the zoo--cards started coming faster and faster, much the way a chain of dominoes might fall. Eventually, I found eighteen more cards after that ten yesterday,* an even more atypical number than none. The real subject of this entry then occurred to me: cause comes before effect. [Cavin]

Then, a 1 sided conversation ensued...

To which Blogger Mr. Cavin added:

* I thought I might safely hide the Stud update here in the comments for easier skippage by the uninterested. Added to Thursday's Ten clubs, then, was Saturday's second Ten clubs, and the Jack, Nine and Ace diamonds, completing my hand with a suited pair Tens. The House drew: Six hearts, Two clubs, Four diamonds, Jack clubs, and Ten spades, losing round six with a fistful of nuthin'. But this was where my luck finally turned. The other ten cards I found yesterday for our seventh hands were: the Ace spades, Two spades, Five hearts, Nine spades, and the King spades, missing my flush draw by one lousy heart. The City picked up the Ace hearts, the Nine, Ace, and Three clubs, and the second Five hearts of the day, beating me soundly with a pair Aces and bringing the record to six and one. Note that all four Aces were in play yesterday. I have now found seventy playing cards on the streets since I started making note of it.

Monday, January 21, 2008 4:50:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Back to the Beginner.
<< To main Update page.