Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Tuesday

I've been meaning to mention this: last Friday, I got all deposit, service, and equipment charges together and submitted paperwork to have cable internet hooked up in our apartment. The lease said this might take seven days, but the guy at the front desk of our building estimated that the workers could only show up as early as Wednesday. That's tomorrow. Sometime after that there's a good possibility I'll never have to come to Le's Café for anything other than Vietnamese coffee again.* Then I'll be able to more fully illustrate, in words and pictures, those things that have been happening since I moved to this country, necessitating longer and more involved posts. When that begins to happen, this Update Column will get primarily back to its traditional business of relating the interesting local news, announcements, and other short fare it was created to convey. In the spirit of that, here's a sadly wonky news item from the Indian capital of New Delhi, where deputy mayor SS Bajwa, a member of the Bharatiya Janata Party, was reading a newspaper on his terrace Friday, October nineteenth when he was attacked by aggressive monkeys. In the process of attempting to evade his beastly assailants, Mr. Bajwa fell over his terrace railing. The deputy mayor was admitted to the intensive care unit of Delhi Hospital, but he eventually died from the fall (on October twenty-second). Conflicts between monkeys and people apparently happen frequently in the capital city, where municipal officials cannot control a population of rapidly habituating animal bands forced to adapt to urbanism after the loss of more natural habitats to industrialization. At the same time, these monkeys are protected by the tenets of monkey god worshipers, serving Hanuman by feeding his decedents near the temples where he is revered. [Cavin]

Then, a 4 sided conversation ensued...

To which Blogger Mr. Cavin added:

* But I still had to come here today; and when I first tried, it was raining like absolute crazy. I waited an extra hour as it mostly died down (even in the plastic bag, itself in the leather messenger bag, I am not trusting my computer in atmosphere that kinetically choked with falling water). Also, as my luck would have it (and Sunshine's would not), the lone family umbrella, newly purchased yesterday, was accidentally left in the kitchen this morning. Maybe I should give Sunshine more credit: she left it for me knowing that it would be the only reason I'd manage to post anything at all today.

Tuesday, November 06, 2007 6:56:00 PM  
To which Blogger Bronwen added:

That's a crazy story. The monkey one, not the umbrella one.
Although, it was sad that you left it behind. Does it ever stop raining?

Wednesday, November 07, 2007 3:32:00 AM  
To which Anonymous Anonymous added:

This is why I have my No Cities With Monkeys In The Streets rule.

Saturday, November 10, 2007 11:25:00 AM  
To which Blogger Mr. Cavin added:

Ellie: yes, sometimes it stops raining several times a day. For a while after arriving, it rained multiple times every day. Now, there have definitely been days when it has only looked as if it was going to open up. It looked like that all day; but it never rained. Then, there are days like this one, where it saved up all day, and really came down hard, for hours. Oh, and supposedly there is a typhoon hitting us soon (how Dr. Seuss is that?).

Henry: I know. I thought of you when I heard about it. Don't run for office in India, don't live above the first floor, and don't tarry by the temples of the Monkey God. But you know that already.

Saturday, November 10, 2007 11:18:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Back to the Beginner.
<< To main Update page.