Thursday, September 27, 2007

Wednesday

Now that it's fall, it is not altogether gratifying that the weather has become very hot again. Today was sun-blasted and completely without any kind of breeze. That's not to say that I did not have a pretty cool day: I returned to Silver Spring for a couple movies. It's not impossible that today was the last time I'll do that for a long time. I hold modest hope of seeing Ang Lee's Lust, Caution (2006)1 between its October twelfth opening and my departure on the plus-or-minus seventeenth, but I'm not sure where I'll see it. Or if. I tried not to be too maudlin at Starbucks. I bid adieu to the oddly triangular Asian Bistro. Then, possibly, my final movie of 2007 was the Ron Howard-produced documentary In the Shadow of the Moon,2 an extravaganza of NASA stock footage highlights and famous Apollo astronaut heads. I'm not certain that I'm comfortable with the word documentary here, though I can't think of a better one. The movie supports the first person anecdotes of the moon shot participants with a medley of the best-looking space program footage you've ever already seen before; doing so in a way that subverts classroom accuracy in favor of emotional or visual impact. This isn't necessary a complaint. It creates a dynamic illustration of the astronaut's recollections rather than a document in its own right. Fair enough: spacemen are a super cool bunch, especially General Mike Collins, as erudite and entertaining as any wide-eyed boyhood aficionado could possibly dream. I place value in primary sources, and I could listen to astronauts talk all day long. The photo montage, just icing on the cake really, culminated in the coolest disclaimer: this film was shot entirely on location on the earth, the moon, and in space. [Cavin]

Then, a 0 sided conversation ensued...

Post a Comment

<< Back to the Beginner.
<< To main Update page.