Monday, September 03, 2007

Sunday

Greetings from the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains, where there is little to do all day but sit out on the porch and talk to the occasional family member who happens by. We've eaten several meals picked right out of the midsize garden down the hill, wandered around in the woods, and generally rested-up from life in the big city. Last night I noticed there are quite a few more visible stars in the sky here. Throughout today we've been watching A&E's reality television show Rollergirls* on DVD. Four episodes in and I'm still enjoying it tremendously. It's less Real World reality show and more season-long sports documentary. Each episode concentrates on several athletes and ends with a bout between two of the five Austin City Texas Roller Derby League teams. And for supposedly unscripted and un-acted television, it has a dramatic appeal attributable, I suppose, to some pretty cunning manipulation by the editors. I expected to find the women engaging and the sports photography bone-crunchingly thrilling, but I am surprised to discover the dramatic weight created for each climactic showdown is riveting. If anything, the show frustrates because I'm party to merely the snippets of these bouts advancing the dramatic action. I would really enjoy seeing the whole bouts, uncut. This has to exist somewhere--where else could the editors have culled the minutes they've included?--and it seems ripe for bonus materials or even a companion set. As far as I know this is unavailable, however, so I'm left with my frustrations. Alas. I put up, like, a whole new page of photographs here on Thursday, by the way. I don't think I've Updated about that since; so if you don't check by Flickr regularly, and this sort of thing interests you, please stop by soon. [Cavin]

Then, a 0 sided conversation ensued...

Post a Comment

<< Back to the Beginner.
<< To main Update page.