Thursday, August 23, 2007

Wednesday

I'd planned on seeing two movies yesterday. They were showing three good ones, but I've been trying to limit sitting on my ass to merely four hours straight. Also, I don't like watering down each movie's impact to that extent. Movies I've seen before wouldn't suffer, but I'd never seen the Man Who Would be King* or Cleo from 5 to 7 (Cléo de 5 à 7; Agnès Varda, 1961),* yesterday's later show. Because of this, and because I didn't want to skip another dinner, I opted not to watch Brazil (Terry Gilliam, 1985),* scheduled between the other two. Good reason: this was the cheesier Hollywood happy ending re-cut that works better as a curiosity compared to the way Brazil was originally intended. So, after the Huston movie I had a three-hour break for dinner and my very good Shirley Jackson book. I also thought I'd window shop for a laptop-sized shoulder bag (everybody in the district has a courier bag. I want to be just like them even though my computer will fit into a purse). I was in the mall when I discovered that Cleo..., is too long to make the last train home afterwards. How long does it take to walk an hour-long midnight train route? I wasn't planning on finding out. Scratching Cleo... made me wish I'd watched Brazil, but also meant I could get home early. This was when I realized I'd left my phone in the theater. Brazil was half over, of course; but the ushers hadn't located the phone, so I got to further stew over my bad decision while searching for it myself beneath the screen. I didn't find it. I had to wait with my book for the damn movie to let out anyway--then someone turned it in. [Cavin]

Then, a 2 sided conversation ensued...

To which Blogger qemuel added:

Phil loves him some Shirley Jackson! Which one are you reading?

Saturday, August 25, 2007 12:20:00 AM  
To which Blogger Mr. Cavin added:

Oops, I'm sorry. I'm reading a three-fer, actually, incorporating between its covers Jackson's short story collection the Lottery and Other Stories,* the Haunting of Hill House,* and We Have Always Lived in the Castle.* Basically, all of the most famous ones. I was surprised that the Lottery was the only short story collected here that I'd read before. I couldn't find the omnibus volume we own there at Amazon, which is why I linked all three books singly.

Saturday, August 25, 2007 5:11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Back to the Beginner.
<< To main Update page.