Saturday, June 16, 2007

Friday *

We recently saw Judd Apatow's movie Knocked Up,* leading to the admission* that I'd never bothered to see his other movie, the 40 Year-Old Virgin (2005).* Why? Because the previews indicated it was just another movie of the type I'm disinterested in: situational skit comedy evolved around the fulcrum of stereotype versus stereotype in the easy arena of socially protected sexual prejudice. Well, the movie in question is popular, and in due course we were invited by friends to watch it on DVD over delivery pizza and margaritas. I can't say I was altogether incorrect in my knee-jerk prejudices about the 40 Year-Old Virgin, though I'm glad I saw it. Why? It was very funny. The plot revolves around Andy, who, attempting to foster greater connection with workmates, begrudgingly admits to retaining his virginity. This introduces not only the stereotypical skit-like lowbrow social study I find annoying, but also the particular comic wit of Judd Apatow who can always find the vein while mining the rascally intercourse of man-children who presume no one is looking. From these humble beginnings the movie fits squarely into expectation along its broad strokes: Andy's capitulation as his buddies hijack his future love life ebbs and flows while he virtually trips over women who find themselves grooving to his quality inner person. It's revealed that Andy's lack of experience is symptomatic of an overall postponement of maturity (regrettably symbolized by the care he takes with his toy collection). Around these lesser qualities the movie is genuinely sweet, and tries to plumb real humanity from the usual handful of Apatow types. But while bending over backward to dignify and sweeten the impulses that drive its male cast, the film offers uneven shrift to the motivations of the women drawn to Andy's type of harmlessness. [Cavin]

Then, a 3 sided conversation ensued...

To which Blogger Mr. Cavin added:

* I am not really sure what has happened. I initially posted this so late into Friday that it was actually Saturday afternoon, not altogether unheard of here at the Update Stuff desk. Then it languished for a few hours before collecting a comment from my friend qemuel. That comment is reproduced here:

I was surprised to find that I actually enjoyed 40 Year-Old Virgin. Still haven't seen Knocked Up yet... Posted Saturday, June 16, 2007 10:09:00 PM

I am always glad to get comments--and in this case I am particularly glad, since its existence proves my contention that I really did make this post before now, even if it only proves this to me and qemuel. Anyway, I responded like so:

Yeah, I guess that was pretty much the way I felt about it too. It really was awfully funny, though flawed in a way I don’t like. I suspect it is fair to say that the movie is more impressive to me because it managed to win me over, you know? Knocked Up is way better, however, as a movie. Probably it is just about equal in the funny category, too. Posted Sunday, June 17, 2007 1:09:00 AM

But, in the process of commenting, I noticed that I’d forgotten the italics in which I like to render the titles of things. So I dropped into my editor to make that change in the original post. Everything went according to plan, and I double-checked it all as always, and then I was done for the day. Only, today, when I went back to look, I noticed that it had all entirely disappeared. Vanished. Well, this is why I keep records. But I guess I will not roll my eyes so acrobatically the next time someone tells me of a post just disappearing. These were phenomena I previously chalked up to user error, things that happened to people who took less care than I. Either I am mistaken in this last contention, or I erred thoroughly yesterday. Either provides sufficient reason for this oddity.

Monday, June 18, 2007 1:44:00 PM  
To which Anonymous Anonymous added:

Wow. Deja Vu. I saw it, two.

Monday, June 18, 2007 9:47:00 PM  
To which Blogger Bronwen added:

i lost a post recently. And I never found it.

Thursday, June 21, 2007 9:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Back to the Beginner.
<< To main Update page.