Sunday, April 08, 2007

Saturday

Today was a day of modest accomplishment: we hung out and watched the third season of the Sopranos. As modest as that is, we accomplished hours of it. Yesterday we met another couple for dinner at Eden Center, where all the parking rows have authentic street signs with Vietnamese names. Sunshine ordered her food in Vietnamese to the waiter's delight; I ordered by number which made the waiter laugh. I ate good curry fish so rapidly that we made the eight pm Grindhouse.* I think we get seventies heaven points for seeing it the first day. New as it is, I'm not talking about it here. Suffice to say I expected the world and got more than that. I want to talk about previews. Between Grindhouse's double-feature, the movie presents ersatz previews made by several different filmmakers. One of these filmmakers is Rob Zombie, responsible for the pitch-perfect preview of an ersatz movie I'm a little sad won't ever really get made: Werewolf Women of the SS. But before Grindhouse there were real previews, just like in any other movie. One of these was also by Rob Zombie, and it's for a movie I'm altogether sad really has been made: Halloween.* I like Mr. Zombie, and I appreciate that he's revitalizing a gritty horror format otherwise out-of-style in today's theaters. But for what reasons are movies remade? Either to be exploited for new revenue by soulless Hollywood film machines, or because some new perspective feels the original didn't live up to its potential. Which answer fits here? Mr. Zombie is a bona fide fanboy throwback, churning out pure-B grind nastiness--he isn't some slick reprocessing corporation. He must feel he can do the original better. And yet Halloween* is its genre's masterpiece: a nearly perfect movie. What gives? [Cavin]

Then, a 3 sided conversation ensued...

To which Blogger qemuel added:

Yeah, I have some SERIOUS issues with Rob Zombie deciding to tackle this one. It really IS a perfect film (or gorram close enough, anyway), and does not need the oh so popular modern revamp.

He's a talented director with an obvious love of the genre. His time would be better spent making WEREWOLF WOMEN OF THE SS!

I immediately thought of you when that one started...

Sunday, April 08, 2007 4:40:00 PM  
To which Blogger qemuel added:

Secondary thought: more than one person has asked me how old The Cat is, which I do not actually know. How old is she?

Also, what is your address? I have a couple of goodies to send you and Miss Sunshine...

Later!

Sunday, April 08, 2007 9:59:00 PM  
To which Blogger Mr. Cavin added:

One. The cat was seven years old when we got her in June, 2005. So I guess that means that in two months you can be sure she is nine. But she may already be nine. Her past is a little mysterious. Two. I have to admit, the Halloween preview definitely made me feel like he was trying hard to do the right thing. This is no dashed-off joke like the Texas Chainsaw Massacre redo. Hell, it isn't even a well-done but pallid-in-comparison "re-imagining" like the new Dawn of the Dead. This actually looks better. But you are right: the "right thing" he should be trying to do is to burn the candle of endeavor making something new, not a guaranteed artistic failure. I mean, a Halloween remake? What's the point? It’s either going to be exactly the same, or it is going to be worse. Maybe, to Mr. Zombie’s credit, not much worse. But, still, what's the point? Three. I'll email you my address. Later.

Monday, April 09, 2007 3:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Back to the Beginner.
<< To main Update page.