Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Fat Tuesday

I spent yesterday catching up this Update column with dated material (I'm still unable to get online due to my laziness in resolving the issue). If you're coming to this column for the first time this week, you should note that I've posted eleven backdated entries since Friday morning. Also, I've finally uploaded more pictures to Flickr; here. These are mostly portraits of creepy baby dolls. I stayed in while Sunshine stepped out to spend quality time with our friend Holly. Now you know why there's no Monday entry this week. All I did was order a pizza from some place we'd never heard of before. Their pizza was pretty good. Today I did more. Happy Mardi Gras. First, we found our way to the Virginia location of Luna Grill,* a vegetarian-friendly eatery we already liked at its DC branch near Dupont Circle. We met our friends Tony and Christene there. They fly to India tomorrow. We haven't seen them since Saturday, when we shared them with a large group of coworkers and family. Today was just the five of us (even if baby Bruno was never even unzipped from his basket), and that was super nice. Parting was tough again. Later in the afternoon, we took the red line train to Van Ness where we ate pretty good Indian food. I tried something called a "Green Dragon," consisting of gin, Jägermeister, some green liqueur, and lime; but it actually wasn't bad. The restaurant offered to save our leftovers while we walked the mile to Politics and Prose,* a bookstore where China Miéville* read to us from his new young-adult novel Un Lun Dun.* I like the way Mr Miéville reads, he's charming and effusive. It was raining when we walked back to the metro with our takeout. [Cavin]

Then, a 2 sided conversation ensued...

To which Blogger qemuel added:

Coincidentally, I am reading PERDIDO STREET STATION right now. Pretty good so far.

Thursday, February 22, 2007 6:47:00 AM  
To which Blogger Mr. Cavin added:

I really liked that one; and I think The Scar is worth reading as well. But that’s it for me. We picked up Un Lun Dun last night after the reading (which I enjoyed), and I will probably read it someday soon. I read the first three pages on the metro ride home, and it starts very much the same as the others: spooky italicized poetic pronoun section and all.

Thursday, February 22, 2007 7:09:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Back to the Beginner.
<< To main Update page.