Saturday, January 13, 2007

Friday

This story stretches all the way back to October 2000, when I discovered that, contrary to nine-years' worth of presumption, rum was incredibly good liquor. I guess this story actually starts whenever it was I first tasted the crappy Puerto Rican and Jamaican rums exported into the US, declared them undrinkable, and shunned them for the rest of the decade. Oh, I tolerated occasional Captain Morgan cocktails, but tended toward finer horizons: select tequilas and single-malt whiskies. Then came that fateful birthday vacation to sunny Haiti where I, for the first time, tried Barbancourt's* five-star rhum on the expansive balcony at the Hotel Oloffson.* It was a revelation. I suddenly understood why pirates loved this stuff. The drink was subtle, woody, interesting. Barbancourt bottles three qualities of aged rhum: three-star, five-star, and fifteen-year reserve. I managed to sample all of them before returning home from Haiti. My new love for rum was steadfast: not only did I now know the good stuff existed, but available bad stuff became far more tolerable. I was ever on the lookout, but the only place I found imported Barbancourt was New York City. Meanwhile, I discovered the British Navy's peaty Pusser's rum,* excellent Nicaraguan Flor de Caña,* better Venezuelan ron Santa Teresa,* and even better Guatemalan ron Zacapa.* Some were probably better than, but none were preferable to, my sweetheart Haitian Barbancourt. Just before Christmas 2005, one of Sunshine's coworkers, recently returned from Hispaniola, gave us a bottle of fifteen-year reserve--our second ever. Today, Sunshine and I found all three types of Barbancourt available in Lexington, Kentucky at the vast new Liquor Barn on Man-O-War just off I-75. This is wonderful news because that thirteen-month-old Christmas bottle we've been traveling with is getting empty. Now we have our third bottle ever. [Cavin]

Then, a 3 sided conversation ensued...

To which Blogger Mr. Cavin added:

As a side note: when we arrived in Kentucky this week, we found author Kathy Dobie embedded inside the local cluster of Sunshine’s family. She was in town to research a freelance GQ article about post traumatic stress disorder, and had become very familiar around here through a series of interviews with everyone. Dobie is a very interesting person in her own right, and a wonderful person to meet all 'round. But to be narrow: of her many charms, it was the fact that she lives in New York that gave me pause. Why was it that I was always on the lookout for unsuspecting New Yorkers? Oh, right, the rum. Before she left, we got her to agree to send us a bottle of this Haitian stuff form the only place in the country I was ever sure they sold it. In return, she got a shot of the stuff, and our stash was lowered to about two fingers. I hope that she gets my email telling her it is no longer necessary to buy that bottle for us. I also very much wish that I had offered her a second shot now that it is so easy to get.

Saturday, January 13, 2007 11:45:00 AM  
To which Blogger qemuel added:

Hmm...maybe I had a similar experience with rum, as I have never been much of a fan either.

Merits trying it again sometime...

Saturday, January 13, 2007 2:29:00 PM  
To which Blogger Mr. Cavin added:

Right. And I am here to tell you: the years of having to go to Haiti just to learn to like rum are now over, my friend. Sure, you have to go to Kentucky for it, but at least they don't speak French here.

Sunday, January 14, 2007 3:21:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Back to the Beginner.
<< To main Update page.