Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Tuesday

Today turned out both more and less interesting than I thought it would. I did not go out to dinner at a new restaurant--we had been invited by a favored waiter from our favorite San Pedro restaurant (which closed down to renovate shortly before Semana Santa and has never reopened). Instead, Sunshine came home late from work with half a root canal. A few days ago she finally mentioned that her tooth was aching, and with this lapse in stoicism came the end of her being able to put up with it. While I watched her struggle with a Subway Sub last night we both seemed to come to the realization that Monday was going to be too long for her to wait on a dentist's appointment, so today she made an emergency stop after her workday. Sadly, she did not look or sound at all funny when she got home. There was almost no way to tell that anything had happened. I am concerned that this dentist appointment will add to Sunshine’s badass points because of some back-alley assumptions of Mexican medicine. He did not disinfect with the Cuervo anesthesia. He did not cauterize the wound with a cheroot. Do not be fooled. She gets badass points for just going to the dentist at all--any dentist. She would like everyone to know that she is just fine, and that the Mexican dentist was as swell as possible. [Cavin]

Then, a 3 sided conversation ensued...

To which Blogger Unknown added:

Mexico, eh? While I've spent a bit of time there, I'm not fan. When they found they had a grandchild coming, my parents almost immediately sold their home in DC and moved to Estepona (Spain), so there's a modest connection there, albeit Hispanic (perhaps I've a bit of Sephardic in me). My preference is France, however, where we have a home at which we spend about a quarter of the year now, more later.

I do have a rule you might pass along to your girlfriend: starve your dentist. Great defensive description though.

Enjoy your adventure and stay well.

Wednesday, July 19, 2006 4:07:00 PM  
To which Blogger Mr. Cavin added:

Not hot enough for you, eh, Mr. Nevada? I am very much a fan of Mexico. Evidence here and here. I also really like Spain. I haven't been to France yet; I decided when I was starting in on the travel bug thing that I would save Europe for that time in life when my desires to visit more challenging places (like Africa nd Haiti) have lessened. I'm looking forward to it, but I am looking forward to Southeast Asia first.

Thursday, July 20, 2006 10:09:00 AM  
To which Blogger Unknown added:

My people spent 40 years in the wilderness and I'm a temporarily displaced New Yorker anyway, so the heat doesn't bother me. I spent some time in Southeast Asia back in the late 60s. Not my cup of tea, so to speak. Our home's in St. Didier, a tiny town in Provence. It's quite modest and we do enjoy it there. It'll probably be where we land after returning to New York.

I've not been a fan of challenging places for many years, though it seems as if there are few places left that don't present one.

Take care.

Thursday, July 20, 2006 1:10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Back to the Beginner.
<< To main Update page.