Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Tuesday

Sunday I finally managed to make the item pages of my post show up in a different template. I know I am a rank amateur, but I feel pretty good about myself. The trouble I faced, once my new sidebar worked and this update stuff was happening, was that the new format caused the necessary shrinkage of the main content column in the middle. What this means, dear reader, is that the long articles that prompted me to make this whimsy space here, some of them in excess of two thousand words, were scrolling a mile down the damn screen. Not only was this difficult to read, but frankly it looked silly once it outdistanced the sidebar content and continued on down as a little motorcycle skid of lonely text. So I employed the usual trick and inserted code to hide these articles behind cuts, so that only some of each thing appeared on the main page. I suspect that this is all very elementary, but it also gave me the idea that if I could make more text appear on the post page than did on the main page, that I could probably also change the entire parameters of the page view as well, displaying the content bar in the middle at a comfortable reading width again. Well, it took all day, but I managed it. Also, this gave me a whole fourth sidebar to decorate. By last night I was taking pictures of the lamps around the house. [Cavin]

Then, a 0 sided conversation ensued...

Post a Comment

<< Back to the Beginner.
<< To main Update page.